Thursday, August 9, 2007

I Feel The Earth Move Under My Feet.

We had an earthquake last night.

I'd been in bed since 11:30pm and at 12:57am was having a hard time falling asleep. I was starting to feel the sleepies taking over when I heard a rumbling and the entire bed started shaking side to side for a few long seconds and then shook head to toe. The sound was louder than I would have expected. I layed quietly until the house stopped moving and then looked around to see if anyone else had noticed. Both Chris and Indy lay blissfully unaware of the commotion. I tried to go back to sleep but for the first time after an earthquake I felt scared. I got up and Indy looked at me like, "hey mommy! what's up?!" I did a brief check of the house to make sure everything (especially the plasma) was in the right place. I peaked out the window and could hear the faint sound of sirens in the distance. That confirmed it. Not a dream. I climbed back into bed wondering why my heart wouldn't stop beating...and why, this time, I didn't think it was fun.

The quake originated in the mountains by Chatsworth...only 9 miles from us. The strength was a 4.5, but as it was happening I was guessing closer to 7.0. I used to think Earthquakes were fun...if no one was hurt. I think it was the fact that I was the only one awake surrounded by darkness as the boy and animal that I love the most slept, that scared me. I think the older you get the more you can wrap your head around the potential for devastating loss, injury and property damage that can come with an earthquake.


I remember very vividly the '89 earthquake in the Bay Area. My mom had just picked me and my brother up from day care and we were on our way home. I sat in the front seat while Danny was in the back. We were stopped at a red light when the car began to bounce. Gently at first and then more violently. My mom turned to the backseat and yelled for Danny to stop jumping around back there. We then realized that all the cars were bouncing and the road was rolling like a wave. The giant oak tree in front of our dentist's office swayed as though it were a daisy in wind. After the ground stopped moving we made our way home. The damage was apparent all around us. It wasn't until later that we would become aware of the devastation occuring on the Bay Bridge and other areas. We met up with my dad and went home. I have a vague recollection of getting fast food and then roller skating in our front driveway. I thought it was fun.

The most bizarre thing about all of this...is that at the same time we have an earthquake, Brooklyn has a tornado. The first to hit that area since 1889. Coincidence? Or apocolypse? Discuss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for letting us take a peek into your life.

How sad that people at work will not know the real you. How unfortunate for them. You are very special, goddaughter, and we are blessed that you are in our life. What you have to say and your opinions are important and VERY much worth listening too.

XOXOXO