Sunday, April 20, 2008

DEAL!!! or......maybe NO DEAL!!!

This past Saturday I decided it was time to bite the bullet and go audition for 'Deal or No Deal'. This is the only game show I have ever actively wanted to be on. The reasons being that A.) you don't need to know anything about 19th century neoexistentialists painters (is that a thing?), B.) there's no chance you're going to covered in slime and C.) you don't have to guess the retail price of laundry detergent PLUS you almost never go home empty handed.

The auditions were from 10am-1pm and anyone in line by 1:00pm was guaranteed an interview. Knowing that crazy people would have been lined up from 6pm the previous night I decided it was best to get there at the latest by 9:00am and hoping upon hopes the line wasn't unreasonably long. Chris and I arrived at 8:40am. To this line.

(Those were just the people in front of us. 10 minutes after we got in line there were even more people behind us)

The line started moving pretty rapidly at 10:00am and Chris and I got hopeful that we might actually be able to salvage some of our day and hopefully not be in line for 6 hours.

5 1/2 hours later....we got to the front. When we had gotten in line at 8:40am with some coffee and an apple fritter I was all jokes, high energy and feeling good about being spontaneous and witty in front of strangers with the only intention of judging my personality. By 1:45pm having stood in line outside and only eaten some pretzel sticks I was having a hard time maintaining a high energy level, but was told that we would be separated into groups of ten and then put in front of one Casting Director with 30 seconds to 'sell' ourselves. Some people would be selected to move on to a second tent to go in front of even more Casting Directors. That was obviously a good thing.

Me in line about to get my shot in front of the casting director.

(after seeing this picture I vow to never make that face in public again)

"And I do a mean chewbaca impression...."

Out of our group of ten four of us were asked to stay and the rest were sent home. He gave the other three people orange tickets and told them to proceed to the second tent. He asked me to stay to chat. I couldn't tell if this was good (he really liked me and wanted to chat more) or not so good (he wasn't sure if he wanted me to move on so decided to ask me a couple more questions).

"And I was born in Brazil..."

"Oh yea?? Here's your yellow ticket. Go to tent B".

"Blah blah...funny funny things...blah blah...give me lots of free money...blah blah"

All in all I think the day went as well as I could have hoped for. My only fear was that I would spend all day there and feel like it was a waste. I made it to the second round of interviews and feel like I made the best impression I could know...after standing in line outside for six hours. So let's all keep our fingers crossed and hope that I get a call!!! Eek!


Daniel Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Megan said...

OMG this is an awesome post. Fingers crossed for you! I love the picture of you getting the golden ticket. You look so pleased with yourself. :) If you win will you give me some money? Thanks Cuz!!!

DJL said...

the guy in the striped tie is totally buying whatever bs line you are spitting out. can i have some money too?!!!?

Meghan said...

hahaha! awesome! i'm sure you did great and its only a matter of time before you get that call!

and i agree with megan, you totally look pleased with yourself for getting that ticket. that's so funny!! :)

Linus Lau: jackhammer said...

i totally thought you were auditioning to be one of the suitcase girls.