Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Happy New Year!

The following occurred to me a little while ago and I still haven't been able to shake my anxiety.

In three months, it will be Christmas.


Let that sink in. It's almost 2008.

Doesn't that wig you out????

If not, congratulations. You've got a sensible grasp on the passage of time and are in no way freaked out by how quickly the year has gone by and how few of your goals for this year you've actually accomplished. Or maybe you're like me and haven't even gotten around to making your 2007 list of "goals to accomplish this year". I thought I had more time! In my mind it's still March. Which made me realize another shocker. In 6 months I'll be 26. This is bringing me way more anxiety than the whole "christmas" thing. Years are just slipping by at an alarming rate. I can handle being 25. I'm in my mid 20's. At 25 you can even pass for early 20's. Once you turn 26 it's just a downward spiral to 30 and what will I have accomplished????

I'll take a break from my quarter life crisis to mention to all my fellow 20 somethings that this whole 26 is basically 30 thing really only applies to me. If you're 26, 27 or 28 don't worry, you're not almost 30. You've still got time. You've got your whole life ahead of you! You're just a baby!!! If you're 29, there's nothing I can do...you're basically 30.

So back to me.

It's the little things that make me feel old- like starting a 401K. Yes, it's very smart of me to be planning for my retirement, but nothing makes you realize you're gonna die soon (and pennyless) like a 401K. Teenagers make me feel old. The discussion of High School Musical 3 makes me feel old. 15 year old runway models make me feel old (and fat). Pregnant friends make me feel old. Married friends talking about getting pregnant makes me feel old. Let's just slow this whole thing down!!!! Or maybe I just need to hurry up and get my act together. Some of my friends even have CAREERS! Yikes!!!

Now, you can all post comments saying how young I am and how I have my entire life ahead of me and to just settle down. Yes. My rational brain realizes that in a cosmic sense my 25 years on this planet are but a tiny pore on the face of time, but that doesn't stop me from feeling startled by how long ago it seems that I was a freshman in High School or even graduating college. I've been out of school for 4 years now and feel no better prepared to face adulthood than I was as a freshman in college. Except that now I know how to pay my bills online. Too bad I have twice as many to pay.

The brightside to a swift move into 2008 is the upcoming Presidential election. Oh thank the lord that man will finally go away.

No comments: